Common Food Allergies to Watch Out for
Food allergies are quite common; more than 15 million people in the U.S. alone suffer from them. It is something that children in particular are susceptible to. Although many food items can be culprits, here are some of the most common.
- Dairy Products: This isn’t intolerance of lactose but, rather, an allergy to the casein or whey present in cow’s milk. Many children with this allergy develop others as well.
- Wheat: An allergy to wheat is not the same as gluten intolerance. Care needs to be taken because it is present in some surprising products such as ketchup.
- Eggs: This often resolves with age and can be either to the whole egg, or to one of its components.
- Peanuts: Peanuts are a very common allergen and one that requires extreme care as some products that do not contain them are manufactured using machines that do, necessitating careful reading of labels.
- Fish and Shellfish: These allergies have not been as widely studied as dairy and eggs but are ones that will typically remain throughout life.
- Soy: This is another tricky one as soy is often used as a filler ingredient in products where you don’t expect it.
Symptoms of allergies can range from simply irritating to life threatening. Whatever the degree of allergies you or a loved one is experiencing, there are things you can do to feel better. Contact Allergy & Asthma Centers SC at 414-281-0404, we can provide you with more information about food allergies and what to do about them.